7.08.2010

To Comma or Not to Comma?

Welcome. I would like to introduce myself to you. I know it is the polite thing to do when I meet someone new. Afterall, I did, mostly, grow up in the South. Before we get to the 'my name is' part of this post, however, I just want you to know that the title of this post pretty much sums things up about me. You see, it is about the comma in the description in my blog title, which I just wrote prior to writing this post: Midlife, Motherhood, Miracles, & Madness. You see the comma in question, right? The third one, (yes 3rd) the one that follows miracles, the one before the '&' -- you see it now? Yes, that ONE. Should it be there? Should it not? Dilemma.

Yep, that is the sum of me at times. Not the comma. Although I often do pause when I shouldn't and proceed too quickly, or forget to pause when I should just pause (and, perhaps breathe). See, I stress about the "shoulds" and "should nots" in life. Incessantly. I can, and often do, stress about nearly anything, large or small. Now should I stress about such things? Who knows. Probably not. See? Stressing about stressing. I know, I know, looney, right? Exactly. That is me. A Loon. A Loon, living on a lovely lagoon. (ah, what is there to stress about again?)

Now, there are enough large things in life to stress about and the small things should just be water off a duck's back (me being the duck in this scenario -- as although I am sure water runs off a loon's back just as well, it just doesn't sound right, does it? Water off a loon's back? No. Anyway. -- the little things, like the commas and whatnot, being the water). I totally agree. Totally. I have had some of those large things in my life, and still do, that demand and deserve my full stress attention at times. Don't we all? But, I wanted to make this disclosure up front and now, so you would not be caught aback by the ramblings over the small things in life that you may see. Okay, you will definitely see them if you come to my lagoon. They constantly come spilling out of me and I'm certain many will land right here. Afterall, small things do make up much of life, right? And, sometimes maybe it is necessary that we give the small things attention, so that the big things aren't able to fully infiltrate our souls and suck the last living breath we have right from our chests and leave us crumpled on the floor. (Oh, I justify too. A lot. Just about anything that I need to justify, especially when it comes to my girls. Or chocolate. Or a good friend.)

So, other than being a bit of a Loon that justifies her actions, thoughts and compensatory behavior, who am I? Hmmm. Well, I am only midway through this life, so I am not sure I have an adequate answer to that question. Although, I am working on figuring that out. Funny, a quarter of a century ago, I was certain who I was. There was not a doubt in my mind.



For now, and until I totally figure out who I am (or you do and let me know), please just call me Nadine, as many dear dear people on this planet already do. Or, if you prefer any other term of endearment (that is truly a commonly accepted term of endearment among adults, i.e. not poopoopeepeeheadyou, which is being voiced, allegedly, as a term of endearment in our home right now).

I am pleased to meet you. Thanks for visiting -- and just ignore the absense of the second comma in that other paragraph up there before the 'and' like I am right now. Seriously, you don't have a red pen in your hand, do you? If so, I hope it is a sharpie!


Y'all come back now, ya hear.

[If you are manuevering midlife too, then you probably know what old tv show that is from. Well, maybe, if you have already had your coffee and all pistons are firing. Tell me, those of you that may be sitting pretty with me in the middle -- you don't feel comfortable in clothes like *she* wore in that sitcom any more, do you? At least not when you are around another fellow, be the fellow male or female, human, right? It is lovely here in the middle of life, watching.]

No comments:

Post a Comment