8.15.2010

Firsts.

I made my first leis earlier this year for Lia's first hula performance. The leis turned out pretty, right? I also made my first ti leaf skirt.  Lia was beautiful and the performance was terrific! The younger girls were adorable. The older girls and women were graceful and talented. The boys and young men were energetic and amazing! The musicians that played were fun and creative!
Waiting to go on for the Aloha Wave


You can make a lei too! I used a long needle, waxed dental floss (stronger than thread and the flowers go on easy) and lots of flowers.  It seems the picking of the flowers can be extremely hazardous, however.  I ended up with a fat lip when I was picking the flowers from the school yards (both of the girls' schools have plumeria trees growing in the play areas).  Gia was helping me pick the flowers for her sister's leis (and yes, I made one for her too).  I was holding on to a branch above my head and picking only the flowers Gia was excitedly pointing to.   Not paying enough attention to the branch whilst trying to figure out which flower was "that one mommy!  The pretty pink one!" [note: it was a pink plumeria tree, so all the blooming flowers were pink] --- cccrrraaaaaccccckkkk.  OUCHFudgesicle and pop tarts! (and maybe another word or two slipped out that I won't admit uttering in front of her). 

Caveat: the branches of plumeria trees (frangipani) are not very strong.  But, if you ever break a branch and end up with a fat lip (or not) be excited because you can now start a brand new tree of your very own in an old bucket on your lanai!

Thank you to Melia for teaching hula to my girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment